Sunday, March 4, 2018

Etta James "at last"

It was my birthday a couple of days ago. I am officially closer to 50 than 40 and the result is that I've been reflecting even more than usual. This summer will mark the longest I've ever lived at one address. Previously that title was held by the house my family lived in the suburbs of Buffalo. I lived there from the summer before fourth grade til the summer after ninth. It seems even in retrospect to have lasted more than just under six years. It seemed like ages. Since that move i have lived at twenty-nine addresses. Those stints ranged from a couple of months to a couple of years. For a long while I have longed for more permanent roots. To feel a home not just a temporary apartment. I marvel that my kids will have already matched my streak. That they will feel a real connection to this house. They will feel comfort here after an absence. I get a real warm and fuzzy feeling over that. A friend of ours was our agent when we closed on this house. As a gift i gave her a copy of this cd. I discovered #ettajames  at a time when i felt lost in my late twenties. I often imagined this album pouring from the windows of some home that i had collected a bunch of books and more obviously: CDs. I gave itbto her as a token of hope that she had just helped me realise this fantasy. I think I'm going to crank this tomorrow after i get my boys on their school busses and savor the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment