Friday, October 12, 2018

Velvet Cacoon "genevieve"

Sometimes the lore surrounding an album makes it irresistible to me. #velvetcacoon  have polarized people due to the mythology they created about themselves. Almost all of the rumours they started turned out to be exaggerations or just plain falsehoods. These ranged from members being committed to asylums, acts of eco terrorism in their native Pacific northwest and claiming to have built guitar amplifiers that ran on vegetable oil. Caricature of black metal= flame; Joel =moth. This CD itself is a pretty awesome hypnotic version of black metal, the kind of stuff my ex-wife used to say sounded like someone vacuuming pennies. The vocals on this are more gurgling whispers than harsh screams and that adds a whole element that I like. It has been pointed out to me recently that I like repetitive music. And while on the surface that may seem apt, I think what I really enjoy is the hypnosis of riffs. The tension that gets created waiting for the change or shift in the song. It's a tendency that I think I've always had but never quantified or even realised until it was pointed out. After it was identified I seem to find it in all the music I choose. It definitely explains my love of funeral doom metal, and these hypnotic black metal albums and shoegaze/post-rock. Now I have an inner conflict of do I search this kind of stuff out and rodeo the tendency or do I try and listen to stuff that turns on a dime every fifteen seconds? Which then leads me to ponder: why do I think so much about this shit? Do I have to analyze all this stuff and strangle the last gasps of mystery out of the artform I love so much? Or am I just looking for a new sub-sub-genre to search out and collect (horde)? Sometimes I think I forget to just listen and enjoy without the extraneous pressure of being a music snob. The good thing is this album is bathing my kitchen in it's cold, fuzzy din while I'm writing this and it sounds awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment