Monday, June 3, 2019

Rancid "let's go"

In 1994 I caught  #rancid perform at Mr.Goodbar on Elmwood avenue near Buffalo State College. The bar didn't host many shows but I remember the band playing on the floor upstairs and it was a wild show. Thing is, every time I hear this album I think of that show at that venue but it conjures a memory of that bar from a different night. In '94 I was twenty-two years old and still green at legal drinking. I don't remember why we used to haunt Goodbar, it definitely wasn't my favorite place. Sure, it was a scummy dive but it felt like a college scummy dive (I preferred dives that had an alcoholic in residency and less grunge girls). I had been drinking with the guys in my punk band one night at this bar and we had gotten pretty hammered so we spilled outside to the dollar-a-slice pizza place next door. After grabbing the food we were suprised to see a couch on the curb. While obviously set out for trash it made for a perfect pizza-scarfing people watching spot. One of us walked up to the We Never Close store (not me) a block away and bought a six-pack and we all got a second slice and lounged on our trash throne laughing and generally misbehaving. It was at this point some douchebag rolls up in a red convertible sports car with a dolled up woman riding shotgun. They parked in front of our discarded sofa. The two of them sneered and as they exited their vehicle remarked condescendingly that they could see it was "trash night". A little stunned we watched them stroll up the street to the jock-bar on that strip. The moment the door to that bar closed behind them we all simultaneously threw our pizza and poured our beer into the car. We roared with laughter and sat around for a while waiting for the couple to return to their soggy vehicle, but as I remember it we were pretty drunk and got bored and stumbled off talking about the Rancid show we saw there previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment