Thursday, May 16, 2019

American Football "3"

I listen to alot of music. I listen to alot of kinds of music. My guilt is that I buy tons of music that I will never be intimately invested in (there isn't mathematically enough time for me to hear them all). CDs can be kind of like a drug. You are always hunting for the next fix that changes the landscape for you. It had been a couple of years since I bought music that I couldn't stop listening to; a CD that made me neglect all the other plastic treasures on my wall. In the past few weeks I have found three. It feels like a huge relief to have found some pivotal soundtracks to this time of my life. Typing that I guess it sounds kind of self-absorbed, and it makes me realize that my cd collection is me attempting to score the soundtrack of my life. And make it sound cool like a Wes Anderson movie. I've always liked #americanfootball  . Their first album is a midwestern emo benchmark but I hadnt really thought of them in years. I bought this disc after reading a review online and at first listen I was taken aback by the unassailable production of the album. Everything is in the sonic pocket it needs to be in. Then the songs started pulling me in and I became infatuated. I sat in my car in front of the tattoo shop with the lyric book open revisiting the songs. It is a perfect storm of content that appeals to me. I thought the relief I felt at finding a personally special album was remarkable. A hole was filled I didn't know was there. It's that sort of satiation that strings me along on my music collecting. The relief in finding an album I can live in for a while that stems the search. Thank you American Football!

No comments:

Post a Comment