Sunday, April 8, 2018

Slayer "haunting the chapel"

I have a sister who is a year younger than me. Our childhood (and frankly our adulthood) has been a balance of protectionism and assault. While we have bloodied each on many occasions i had zero tolerance for people bullying her. One day she came home from school crying and i eavesdropped her confiding to my mother that this boy at school had been saying some pretty vicious stuff towards her. I recognized his name and knew he was one of a pair of identical twins. I seethed with protective rage and on the following school day i looked for the kid before middle school homeroom. I walked up to him told him to leave my sister alone and smashed his head into his locker door. Turns out i was smashing his brother's head. News of the confrontation spread throughout the school and before i knew it an official fight had been set up for the following friday night at the playground behind the elementary school. I showed up for the fight with a group of my headbanger friends and the twins showed up with a group of their jock comrades. The two groups circled us and howled in gladiatorial delight. I squared off with the twin, we sized each other up and he roared and feigned a lunge to which i punched him loudly in the cheek. He reeled and fell backward. I pounced pummeling him with punches. His brother then tackled me off him and we rolled around the playground turf with me ending up on top of him. I rained fists on his face and hands as he tried to protect himself. I was eventually pulled off of him and hailed by my metal legion. We howled and stomped around the moonlit playground. The following week when i got to school i saw one of the twins had a shiner and taunted how at least now i could tell them apart. The other brother skulked by and had an identical black eye and my friends laughed with delight. You can't even make that shit up. During the fray my "haunting the chapel" t-shirt was ripped. My mom hated that shirt. But one day after school my shirt was on my bed mended with a sewn scar from the collar to the realigned bloody font. I walked out to thank her and she said she had heard what i had done and that she was grateful that i stuck up for my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment