Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Drive Like Jehu "s/t"

Home of the Hits closing is one of the biggest losses in my life. That statement may sound absurd to anyone who is not a passionate, obsessive music fan. That record store was my church, it was my cultural hub. It was where the magical mysteries of music touched the earth. I miss it's smell, I miss the creaky floor, I miss the rows of incredibly provocative band t-shirts on the walls, I miss the layers of flyers on the bulletin board next to the door and I miss the pastors who worked there. To name them "pastors" is no stretch, they sold me salvation, they offered me guidance and mentoring and I felt really weird running into them in public away from the holy building. As I ebbed and flowed through my musical taste the guys working there paid attention to my purchases and often made suggestions to guide me to new CDs. Sometimes this guidance was fruitless and sometimes they were magical seers of binary sound. I can vividly remember holding this disc and Parasites "punch lines" and musing aloud that I could only afford one. The record store dude walked up and snatched the Parasites CD out of my hand and walked it back to the "P" section and muttered "you're welcome". So I went home with this #drivelikejehu  disc. It's a true watershed moment in music for me. Chaotic, percussive, melodic and interesting. It's a fantastic fucking album and one I believe is essential to anyone who has ventured into music beyond passive radio. My clergy had come through for me and had shown me the light. Fuck, I miss that place so much. Oh and I went back and bought that Parasites disc as soon as I had the money

No comments:

Post a Comment