Wednesday, July 27, 2016

White Lies "big TV"

Some albums you just grow to love. This #whitelies album was being played frequently at the tattoo shop where I work.  It started as a pleasant enough background album, one that didn't annoy me but didn't grab my attention either.  Before long I started humming the songs and before I realized what had happened I was singing choruses.  Because of the familiarity I felt like I needed to add the cd to my collection.
I thought my wife might like the '80s new wave/college rock sound.  She didn't at first but it grew on her too I believe. The album has a Depeche Mode/Echo and the Bunnymen vibe and sound but with modern day compressed mastering and really big guitar sound. The vocalist is a stand out, deep rich baritone vocals that bring to mind the melodrama of '80s goth bands as well.  There's a few groan inducing bad lyrics but all in all the album is filled with catchy hooks.
I was very curious about the band and wondered if they pulled these big songs off live (they are credited as a trio in the disc booklet) so I spent a few minutes searching videos of the group. I stumbled upon their music video for "there goes our love again" (my favorite single off the album) and loved the whole Kill Bill japanese dance club vibe.  I'm not someone who usually notices choreography but the dancing in the video is loads of fun to watch.  My family has had a few impromptu dance parties ignited by that music video. Anything that gets the kid's booties shaking is welcome on my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment